wood . iron . wool | cotton

as you may know, i've been following tom allen's traditional anniversary gift songs ...

finding a love song about wood i think has been a challenge!

but before i go to the music, i wanted to share a little bit of wood that i love very much ...




this is a little hand carved bowl and lid that someone special made for me long ago ...

my childhood friend and country neighbour growing up moved to paraguay, south america with her family when we were about 10 years old ...

they were away for 3 years ...

upon their return, my friend presented me with this lovely gift that she had carved with her own hands from the bottle tree ...

i love this bowl of wood ... i love how it reminds me of her and her family ...

there ought to be a song ...

***

back to the music ...

day 5 . wood

oh dear, i am not sure which one tom played for certain ... when i am working, i hear the music, but not always the commentary ... so, according to his playlist, it could have been 'norwegian wood' by 12 cellists ... or 'knock on wood' by stax ...

day 6 . iron

'belated promise ring' by iron and wine

a spirited little song ... but i think i agree with my niece who thought this iron and wine song would be a lovely choice ... the video is every bit as sweet as the song ... sigh, light the candles ...



day 7 . wool | cotton

stay tuned ... i'll be back to let you know ... xo

5 comments:

Simply Mel said...

PG, the wooden bowl is stunning! And to know your sweet friend carved it just for you makes it beyond special!

I'm a big fan of Iron and Wine...thanks for reminding me of one of my favorites!

Debra said...

What a sweet covered bowl. I have a small wooden bowl that a friend turned for me and a wine stopper- they are treasures.
I LOVE the song Norwegian Wood!
If I Were a Carpenter...and you Were a Lady. Do you remember that one? It's beautiful. I do love seeing you here. Have a wonderful evening.

Purple Flowers said...

What a beautiful treasure to receive from a friend.
I happen to like Norweign Wood. It brings back memories of singing it w/high school friends.

Gigi said...

I love Iron & Wine, and I adore this little bowl. What a true treasure!

Now, Norwegian Wood is one of my all-time favorites. I'm wracking my brain to think of other wood songs, but nothing's coming to mind. I'd be tempted to cheat and play a song about trees if I were him! ; )

xo

pve design said...

love the connection to song.
beautiful.
pve