in celebration of holly



the delicate, free swaying, yet properly frilly hollyhock ... they amaze me and make me smile so!




i needed a little creative pick-me-up before diving into some serious way-too-far-behind-work ... so i began by incorporating these lovely hollies, who live next to our house, into my header ~ a happy hello for you as we marvel at the continuous blooming of the season ...




... if i was a spritely pixie, it would be oh so dreamy to live in a hollyhock!

the flowers
by robert louis stevenson

all the names i know from nurse:
gardener's garters, shepherd's purse,
bacherlor's buttons, lady's smock,
and the lady hollyhock.

fairy places, fairy things,
fairy woods where the wild bee wings, tiny trees for
tiny dames -- these must all be fairy names!

tiny woods below whose boughs
shady fairies weave a house;
tiny tree-tops, rose or thyme,
where the braver fairies climb!

fair are grown-up people's trees,
but the fairest woods are these;
where, if i were not so tall,
i should live for good and all.

11 comments:

abby jenkins said...

Oh, those took my breath away! As delicate as a porcelain tea cup.

Amazing how single hollyhocks can instantly bring me back to lazy summer days in my grandmother's garden, I could not have been more than 6. Making ladies in waiting with some toothpicks to attach the rosebud heads to the silky blossoms. LOVE!

Joyce said...

Ahhh... too bad we don't live close to one another. We could take lengthy breaks between our way overdue work, have lunch and enjoy our surroundings of hollyhocks and black eye susans. I hope this week you will get a lot of your work completed. xoxo

Cindy said...

Love them.

My name is PJ. said...

The header is a beauty; the poem by Stevenson, as well. Sometime in the future, won't you post about where you go and what you do in-between posts? You're quite mysterious.

Deidra said...

I have never known the name of those flowers! Thank you. Whenever I see a hollyhock, I always wonder why Eve would choose to dress in fig leaves, when surely there were hollyhocks all around her! Project Runway in the Garden of Eden.

Prairie Girl Studio said...

so glad these lovelies brought back warm memories abby!
. . .
i always love your comments joyce ~ it would be awesome to take a break away from work and lunch amidst the blooms! thanks ~ hope your work goes well as well ~ pg xo

Prairie Girl Studio said...

glad you like them cindy ~ nice to meet you!
. . .
thanks for your kind comments pj ~ i would love to be here far more often but the last couple of months i have been caring for my elderly mom which i am so grateful to be able to do ... plus i have my own graphic design business, garden, family et al ... soooo i just sneak in and out when i can ... but my mind whirs with thoughts and ideas to share ... and i love seeing what's new in blogland!
. . .
hi deidra! ahh ~ you are most welcome! i giggled aloud reading your comment ... if only eve had found the hollies first!

Simply Mel said...

These hollies are definitely dreamy! And I love the beautiful words you chose to put with their stunning beauty....

GUGAW said...

such pretty photos! thanks for your amazing comment on my blog and for sharing your favourite scents, was a real pleasure to read. and i'm so happy your family have also have had the joy of a little granny!

Purplebears said...

Hollyhocks are one of my favorite flowers, because despite their delicate appearance they can be so persistent.

They first caught my notice at work years ago - near my parking spot, growing from a crack between the asphalt and cinderblock. No water. Harsh winter (Montana).

Thanks for sharing your breathtaking photos.

Prairie Girl Studio said...

thanks always mel ~ you make me smile, too!

. . .

gugaw ~ i can't express how your posting of your 'little granny' touched me ... thanks so much for coming by!

. . .

oh my purplebears, how true ... they are tough ladies ~ not to be reckoned with! thanks so much for your comment!