oh dear ~ not an earworm

i am most sorry ... i have an earworm and if you listen to this, you'll probably catch it ... did i mention that i was sorry?

oh ... earworm is when you hear a song and you can't get it out of your mind ... you hum, sing, la-la, whistle the tune ... or at least the parts you are familiar with ~ all day long until it drives you nearly mad ...

a radio personality on cbc once put it out to the listeners to come up with a different name for this malady ... and the one that i like from some of the entries is 'humbug' ...

isn't that better? "honey ... i've got a humbug!!"

anyways, in honour of gordon ... gordon waller of the peter & gordon fame ... who left this world too soon this week, but left us with a lot of great tunes to hum ~ uh, humbug to, just listen to this!



call me in the morning if you humbug in your dreams ...

the rx will be a new tune of course!

ps . john lennon originally wrote this tune

6 comments:

Deidra said...

Oh dear. I thought you said earwig. So glad I went back to read that again! Blessings to you!

Simply Mel said...

You are so darn cute! I love the term 'earworm' - never heard it before, but I'm adopting it now!

Thanks for the tune, and I do hope I'm humming it in my dreams!

By the way, loved your comments today regarding kids and travel! You are more woman than I - twins and another on a road trip! WOW! I love that you and hubby made the efforts and just did it. Big KUDOS, and I know your kids must be awesome having a mama like you!

My name is PJ. said...

Hi PG, We were just talking about the evil practice of 'planting' songs in someone's brain. It's part of our secret family warfare here. My sister is better at it than I am, but, if anyone tells her, I'll deny it til the very end. We plant really silly songs. The media has planted "Man In The Mirror' by Michael Jackson for the past month. I can't shake it. Argggghh! (Now I'm a pirate!0

Joyce said...

I never heard it called an earworm. Cute! Are you sure it isn't the mint and the mojitos? You are so cute I can't believe you went out to get a plant. You shound just like me! xoxo

Laura [What I Like] said...

What a wonderfully descriptive term! The tune in the head disease strikes me pretty consistently, I'm glad I finally know a term for it.

Polly said...

My son and I call that a *hum curse.* I remember one time, a few years ago when I dropped him off at school. As he got out of the car, he turned around and said *Hey, mom* and sang *go, go power rangers...* the first line of the theme from that horrific kids show. Aaarrrgh! stuck with me all day!

Polly